Surgery MistakesFree Medical Malpractice Case Review
The idea of under going surgery is never a pleasant one. By its very nature surgery is a complicated and precise endeavor with an extremely small margin for error. Some of the most common surgery mistakes include:
- Anesthesia errors: anesthesia is far more complicated than most people realize, and small errors in dosage can have grave and potentially life-threatening consequences.
- Operating on the wrong limb/side of the body: although it is difficult to believe that such a simple mistake could occur in modern medicine, hundreds of people every have the wrong leg, arm, side of body, or even hemisphere of brain operated on.
- Piercing an organ: internal organs are extremely delicate, and one second's carelessness with a scalpel, laser, or scissors can inflict severe harm on an organ.
- Severing a nerve: the nervous system runs throughout the entire body, and careless surgeons can sever a nerve that cannot be repaired.
- Leaving implement in the body: sponges, gauze, forceps, tweezers, any foreign object left in a patient's body can cause severe damage, lacerations, and infection.
- Failure to take immediate action during crisis: surgery demands doctors think quickly, but if they fail to promptly address a situation such as cardiac arrest, hemorrhaging, or organ failure it can have devastating consequences
- Failure to use correct procedure during an operation: different operations require different approaches, and if a surgeon fails to prepare the proper procedure beforehand it can be dangerous for the patient.
Furthermore, many surgical mistakes occur because the doctor or surgeon fails to gather a complete medical history of the patient before the procedure.. Some surgery mistake result from a false positive or false negative report from a lab. If your test result is that important or vital to the surgery then you may want it done twice. Other surgery mistakes result from allergic or adverse effects of medication or some equipment.
If you or someone you love has been the victim of a surgical mistake, you must contact an experienced and knowledgeable attorney immediately. You may be entitled to take legal action against those responsible for your condition, but if you hesitate the statute of limitations in your state could end your case before it has a chance to begin. Let us help you get the compensation you deserve. Consult our surgical mistake lawyers today.